J.W. Fiske Company, New York
Cast zinc, iron
Condition: Good, traces of paint now with oxidized surface, minor repairs to base, missing curled end of tail.
One of this model is known to have been sold in 1872 to W. S. Culbertson of Indiana, “Standing Greyhound, order no. 16895 for $110.” The company’s catalogue of 1874 featured a zinc version of the portrait of Eos renamed “Standing Greyhound”. The statue is after an effigy of Eos, Prince Albert’s favorite dog who accompanied him from Germany when he traveled to England to marry Queen Victoria. The original statue was cast in bronze and is attributed to John Francis Bell (1780-1861). It was created for the dog’s grave at Windsor Castle in 1845 and is based on a portrait of the doge by Sir Edwin Landseer.
Dimensions: 36"h x 46"l x12 1/2"w
Item ID: FA-SCLP/ORN 312